Monday, April 25, 2011

All Dressed Up

So there is this weird trend I’ve noticed on my school campus, people all dressed up. And not just “Oh, they look nice,” kind of way but more of a in-between prom and extremely nice dinner dressing. I keep thinking, what are they trying to be ready for? And then today it hit me, “dressed for action.” I should probably mention this is happening in the fine arts area of the school, where theater, vocal, and instrumental classes and performances take place. These people are constantly ready to look nice for ANYTHING that comes their way, they are ready to be performing at any time, because that’s what they are, performers!

But they aren’t the only ones being called to be ready at all times, in Luke 12:35 we see Jesus tell us to be staying “dressed for action.” You may be thinking, “Okay Ashley, but these performers are told what to wear so they can be ready, how am I as a Christian supposed to adhere to dress code?” Glad you asked cause in Ephesians 6 Paul tells us!

He writes,

“Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication.” –Ephesians 6:13-18a

(I’d love to go into detail about each of these pieces to the full armor of God but John MacArthur did a wonderful series on this passage which you can find, read, and listen to at the “Grace to You” website.)

Are you ready Christian? “Ready for what?” you may ask. Performers are ready to be on stage and perform, Christians are ready for battle, spiritual battle that is, in the full text of Ephesians 6:10-20 we see the battle Paul is addressing, here’s what I left out:

“Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places…To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak.”-Ephesians 6:10-12, 18b-20

There is a spiritual warfare going on both in our flesh and outside! Are we ready to stand and fight?

I end with some encouragement from Charles Spurgeon on the thought of war,

“We are not alarmed because Satan hindereth us, for it is proof that we are on the Lord’s side and are doing the Lord’s work and in His strength we shall win the victory and triumph over our adversary.”

May we not try to fight this battle alone, but like small children who looked towards their parents to be dressed each day, depend on our Father for the defense we need.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great post Ashely! This really encouraged me, I need to get my armor on and pray!